On March 14 (according to the new style, March 27), 1903, the Kursk Historical, Archaeological and Artisanal Museum was established in memory of visiting the town of Kursk by Imperial Majesty Nikolai Aleksandrovich in 1902. The Kursk governor N.N. Gordeev was an initiator, an active participant in the creation of the museum and the donor of many museum items. The museum was created on donations of individuals, purchases of items at exhibitions and in antique shops of St. Petersburg and Moscow.
The museum welcomed its first visitors in 1905. Currently, the exposition is located in two departments: nature and history. Over 350,000 museum items are kept in the museum and its branches.
In the collection of the museum there are items of ancient Russian art, unique ethnographic samples, typological objects of noble and peasant life, antique porcelain, painting of the18th-20th centuries, samples of weapons, art metal, traditional folk costumes, Kursk carpets, samples of Soviet vexillology, personal files of famous and ordinary citizens of Kursk.
More than 33,000 items of numismatics, over 25,000 copies of rare books, about 110,000 original documents and photographs, almost 9,000 pieces of precious metals are in the exposition and storehouses of the museum and its branches. The regional museum of local lore and its 31 branches annually are visited by 300,000 people. The museum association includes 17 regional museums of local lore; 5 military-historical ones: «KP of Central Front», «KP of Voronezh Front» historical-memorial museums, the military history museum «Young Defenders of the Motherland», the museum of partisan glory «Big Oak», the Ponyrovsky Historical and Memorial Museum of the Battle of Kursk ; 6 memorial museums: the museum «Manor of AA. Fet», the memorial museum of the composer G.V. Sviridov, house-museum of the writer and front-line soldier K.D.Vorobyov, the museum of N.V. Plevitskaya, memorial museums of N.N. Aseev and A.P. Gaidar, as well as the Literary Museum, the Museum «Historical and Cultural Center Korennaya Pustyn» and the Planetarium.
The Kursk State Regional Museum of Archeology was established on September 29, 1993 and became the first independent archeological museum in the territory of European Russia, the main purpose of which is comprehensive study and preservation of archaeological monuments and popularization of the historical heritage of the Kursk region. On the basis of the museum there is the permanent Gochevskaya ancient Russian archaeological expedition headed by the museum director G.Yu. Starodubtsev.
The objects, found during the field research, replenish museum funds, now numbering about 140,995 items.
he most interesting finds are presented in the permanent exposition of the museum, dedicated to different periods of the history of the Kursk region from the Stone Age to the era of the late Middle Ages. Since 2012, the permanent exhibition «Gold of the Huns» has been working for visitors, which displays a complex of unique finds from the burial of the leader of the era of the Great Migration of Nations. In April 2006, KSRMA obtained a branch, a historical and ethnographic museum (Pryamitsyno settlement, Oktyabrsky district). The fund of the branch totals about 2,736 units of storage, some of which are exhibited in three halls of permanent exposition (historical and archaeological, ethnographic, modern history). The Kursk State Regional Museum of Archeology is conducting an active research work, which allows the museum to become one of the leading scientific centers of studying the distant past of the «nightingale» land. Its employees participate in the work of Russian and international conferences, symposia and congresses. The Museum held a number of thematic scientific conferences, in the work of which archaeologists and historians of research and training centers of various regions of Russia and Ukraine took part. As a result of the conferences, collections of scientific papers appeared, which aroused great interest among archaeologists and historians dealing with various aspects of the history of South-Eastern Europe. Educational activity is one of the main directions of the museum’s work. Tours, lectures, historical-cognitive games and mass events conducted by the museum are visited annually by about 46,000 people. Every year, the list of events that have become traditional is supplemented with new forms of work: folklore holidays museum quests, crossbow-shooting and interactive excursions are available for visitors.
It was opened to readers on May 16, 1935. Its opening was greeted with a telegram of N.K. Krupskaya. During the war, library funds were partially evacuated to Sarapul, Udmurtia. A month after the liberation of the town of Kursk from the Nazis, on March 13, 1943, the library resumed its work. In March 1965, by a decree of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR, the Kursk Regional Library was named after the famous poet, Nikolai Nikolaevich Aseev.
The regional library, as the custodian of regional memory, is the largest fundholder of local lore and local publications, which make up the information and resource base for studying the history, socio-economic and cultural development of the region. The universal fund of documents on various carriers is more than 2.5 million units.
The pride of the library is the rare books fund, which has more than 19 thousand copies and includes editions of the XVIII, XIX and XX centuries, which have scientific, historical, cultural, artistic and bibliographic value. These are publications on history, philosophy, natural sciences, fiction, encyclopaedic, reference books and periodicals, most of which were published in Russia before 1917. Among them are such publications as «Arithmetic» by AF. Magnitsky (1703), «The Russian merchant and the eminent Rylsky citizen Grigory Shelikhov’s wandering from Okhotsk on the Eastern Ocean to the American shores in 1783» (1791), the first and lifetime editions of works by outstanding scientists, writers, public figures, A. Pushkin, M. Yu. Lermontov, I. S. Turgenev, A. N. Benois, I. G. Ehrenburg, K. M. Simonov, D. I. Mendeleev and many others. Kursk Regional Scientific Library named after N.N. Aseev is a public cultural and information center with the status of the central library of the region with a wide range of opportunities and traditions that have developed over its long history. The library has 16 departments and 9 sectors serving different categories of users. Annually the library serves more than 30 thousand users, including, in the mode of remote access. The technologies of the main library and information processes are automated, access to the world information network of the Internet is made. Annually more than 950 thousand documents are issued from the library’s fund. The library actively creates its own electronic resources: electronic catalogs, bibliographic databases, multimedia publications. Today the library is the center of the cultural life of the local community, an open space for communication, a free exchange of opinions and ideas.
Is one of the notable art museums in Russia. The funds of the gallery contain paintings, sculptures and drawings of Russian and foreign masters of the 16th-21st centuries, objects of folk and decorative and applied art of the XVIII-XX centuries. The picture gallery was opened to the public in 1935. The history of the collection dates back to 1903-1905. The first works of art were received as donations from private individuals, among whom Kursk Governor N.N. Gordeev, a well-known trustee of the museum.
However, the true basis of the collection was formed in the years after the revolution. It was mainly made up of paintings from Kursk collections of Baryatinsky, Nelidov, Shvarts, Rebinder. The dedicated art department of the Provincial Museum became known as the Kursk Picture Gallery.
The new museum was replenished with works transferred from Moscow and Leningrad and independent acquisitions. Since 1969 the gallery has been named after Alexander Deineka (1899-1969). The Kursk collection of A. Deineka’s works (about 1,000 units of storage) gives a complete picture of all the stages of the master’s work. Deineka’s works from the Kursk Picture Gallery were exhibited in Russia, Austria, Hungary, Germany, Holland, Denmark, Finland, USA, Japan and Italy. Today, the gallery collection has 10,000 items of the main fund. Every year, its visitors are 42 thousand residents and guests of the town.
Was organized on the basis of the department of amateur arts at the regional department of the arts in October 1937. For seven and a half decades the House has repeatedly changed its name, the essence of its work has always remained unchanged — the practical implementation of state policy in the field of the revival, preservation and development of traditional folk culture, amateur art and cultural and leisure activities.
In 2007 the Kursk Regional House of Folk Art was recognized as the best House of Folk Art in the Russian Federation.
For more than thirty years, the collective of the creative institution has been headed by the Honored Worker of Culture of Russia Tatyana Ivanovna Bykanova. Currently, the Regional House of Folk Art is a multifunctional association comprising five departments and four branches: the Glushkov Center for Arts and Crafts, the Pristenskiy Center for Folk Culture, the Samoryadovsky House of Crafts, the Sudzhan Crafts Center.
Revival of the sphere of cinema service in Kursk and the region, after the decline of the 1990, began in 2002. Thanks to the policy of the new leadership of the region, the committee on culture of the Kursk region, the film screening was restored in all 28 districts of the region, the network of municipal cinemas, including Kursk ones, was preserved, the number of viewers served by municipal cinemas has increased by 4 times (from 150.0 thousand in 2002 up to 720.4 thousand in 2017). Since 2011, the Culture Committee of the Kursk region has been implementing a program of modernization the cinema network.
In 2017, «Kurskoblkinovideofond» purchased 32 new domestic films, and currently in the funds of the institution are stored and operated about two thousand copies and about two thousand video copies of feature films. Thanks to this in 2017, more than 3 thousand premieres of feature films were held at the cinemas of the region; 7.8 thousand films (film programs) were demonstrated in total.
In 2016, in the Year of Russian cinema, the main emphasis was placed on the modernization of existing and opening of new cinemas. The main results: 93% of cinema installations are equipped with modern multimedia complexes, attendance of film shows increased by 8.8%, and the share of domestic cinema in municipal film screening was more than 70%, which is almost more than three times the national average. According to the results of the participation of municipal cinema institutions in the cinema competition held by the Foundation, 13 cinemas (in the cities of Oboyan, Dmitriev, Kurchatov, Kursk, Glushkovsky, Gorshechensky, Medvensky, Lgovsky, Pristensky, Rylsky, Timsky, Sudzhansky and Fatezhsky districts) received 5 million rubles to modernize cinema halls and re-equip modern digital projection equipment. 5 of them are already in operation, the rest will open until the end of 2018. In recent years, in the municipal cinemas of Kursk and the region, the following large-scale film events were organized and successfully passed: the creative project Open Screen, the Cinema in the Theater project, the Golden Vityaz Film Forum, the Stalker International Film Festival, the Profession Journalist film festival, the film festival «The Big Kursk premiere»; the 100th anniversary of the Russian film industry and the centennial anniversary of the national animation was celebrated, the 100th anniversary of the birth of the outstanding Soviet director-animator, our fellow countryman, B.P. Dezhkin, various projects and the following events of the thematic year of Russian cinema were realized, such as «New cinema in the library», «Cinema in the museum», film screenings as part of the International student festival «All-Russian State Institute of Cinematography debut», a festival-competition of amateur short films My Kursk Region; regional film festivals «50 best domestic films», the festival of modern Russian animation named after Boris Dezhkin, a cycle of film festivals «Cinema from the Kursk region» about the contribution of famous Kursk inhabitants to the development of cinematography, «Melodies coming off the screen», a series of programs «Music in Cinema» in the All-Russian action «Night of Cinema». In 2018, in front of the Kursk State Philharmonic, a bust to an outstanding animator director, our countryman, Boris Petrovich Dezhkin, was opened. These events were visited by the greatest masters of the Russian screen Marlen Hutsiev, Larisa Golubkina, Vasily Lanovoy, Larisa Luzhina, Alexander Mikhailov, Yuri Nazarov, Inna Makarova, Alexey Petrenko, Nikolay Burlyaev, Igor Starygin, Natalya Krachkovskaya, Valery Garkalin, Yevgeny Doga, Vadim Abdrashitov, Lyudmila Ivanova, Leonid Nosyrev, Vladimir Tarasov, Harry Bardin, Nikolai Lebedev, Alexander Mindadze, Svetlana Druzhinina, Anatoly Mukasey and many others.
Founded in 1792, is one of the oldest theaters in Russia. From 1911 to 1936 the theater had been named after M.Schepkin, and in 1937 (the year of the 100th anniversary of the death of A.S. Pushkin) it was named after the great poet. In 2017, the drama theater turned 225 years old. People’s Artist of the Russian Federation, Honored Artist of the Russian Federation, Chevalier of the Order of Honor, laureate of the RSFSR State Prize of Stanislavsky, laureate of the National Theater Award «Golden Mask» — Yu.V. Bure-Nebelsen supervises the creative team of the theater. The repertoire of the theater is based on the works of Russian and foreign classics, on the plays of contemporary authors. The Kursk State Drama Theater named after AS Pushkin occupies one of the leading places in terms of the number of spectators in performances among Russian cities with a population of less than 500 thousand people. The troupe of the theater is actively replenished with young actors.
Travel around the Kursk region can be a bright and unforgettable event for the guests of our region. The region has significant tourism potential, which makes it possible to single out tourism as one of the priority directions for the development of investment activity. There are a large number of tourist facilities in the region, which, due to the developed transport infrastructure, are easily accessible for tourists. The main types of tourism are business, cultural, educational, religious, event.